Sunday, October 19, 2014

Journal Entry 3

Composition:The way an image is put together.
Composition Example: I think that this is a very harmonious example of composition. It's very pleasing to the eye. The pattern of boxes on the floor help to make a very nice pattern. The silhouette of the person and even the tower help to balance out the photo giving it a more symmetrical look than asymmetrical. Also I think that the different orange saturations in the sky help to bring the picture together as a whole. It contrasts with the ground since the ground is a lot whiter, and it definitely compliments the silhouettes making them stand out bigger and bolder.

Composition Example: I think the streaks from the lighting of the sky really helps to pull the focus to the middle of the image. The person's head has a nice glow around it making a great highlight that stands out from the picture. Also the leading lines right in the middle of the photo help to draw the eye into the middle of the photo as well. Finally I think that this is more so an asymmetrical balanced photo, but could be seen as symmetrically balanced. The man is clearly much larger than the cat next to him, but the castle on the right helps to make the right side heavier than the left. I think that through the placement of each item, it helps to create a great composition. 

My Composition Example: I like that there is the shallow 'U" or 'V' in the photo made by the mountains,  however the letter is interrupted with another mountain in the background. The waves create nice horizontal lines moving in towards the shore, and if you look closely there are red dots from buoys make another great horizontal line that's more implied than real. I think that this is a great example of composition because there are so many vague lines in the photo that help to frame parts of it, such as the lake or the sky.  

Unity: An image with the feeling of wholeness. 

Unity Example: I love this photo for an example of unity. The fact that the woman is much more in focus, but that you can still see the background perfectly really work well together. It brings a sense of sadness or desperation with the streams of hair in her face, and that she's looking down at the ground. The land looks very desolate behind her and very windy. I think that the fact that this is a black and white photo also make a great statement. I don't think that the photo would've been quite as strong had it been in color.

Unity Example: Obviously, the boats are interconnected making a train of them which helps to unify the photo. I also think that the fact that they're shaped the same and all have the same values also work in the photo's favor. The fact that there is at least one person in each boat gives the photo a little bit more volume and definition to the photo, making it feel just that much more 3D. Finally I really love the blue surrounding the boats, and since most of the water is the same saturation as the rest of the water, it helps to frame the boats, unifying them just that much more.

My Unity Example: I really like the crispness of this photo. I think that the very front rock sticks out really well and the clouds in the sky look like they almost have borders showing them off that much more. I think that the blue against the green help to play off each other. I also think that the random grey rocks spread out in the photo help to add small highlights. Finally, I think it's really great that you can see the horizon so well, you can really see where land and sky meet, making them a lot more unified. 


Space: A negative or positive area. 

Space Example: I think that this has a lot of positive space in it. The light behind the man is very bright and quite empty and I don't think that the field is very distracting or space-confining either. I think that since the man is very much in focus and the background is not, the tree line does not look like it takes up a lot of space either. The man seems to be a very small portion of the photo, he doesn't take up a lot of it.

Space Example: I think that there is a lot of positive space in this photo too. The rock formation is really a contrast against the sky and water, which look like they unify together.Since the brightness of the sky helps the rock to stick out more, it forms a slight border around the rock making it a bit more crisp, however in a way I think that it also makes the rock consume the photo a little bit more. This, in my opinion, makes the space seem smaller than it really is.
 I like that the rock formation has an 'N' in part of it breaking the darkness with just a little bit more light. I also really like the rough texture of the rock. There are a few different intensities of the brown red, which almost look like they form horizontal lines. Sinseem smaller than it really is. 

My Space Example: I think because the flower is extremely close-up, the photo hardly has any space. Its an extremely limited space. The tip of each flower stem has a pinkish end to it, which leads the eye up the vertical line and then the pattern of the pink tips adds horizontal lines. Each line is very close so it adds even more to the tight spaced feeling of this photo.  


Time: A way of measuring events
Time Example:I love the color in this photo, it is so vibrant and incredible. The blue, red, orange, purple and gold are breathtaking. The silhouette of the trees helps to form a border that draws the eye right to the very middle of the photo. I love this photo because it was taken with quite a bit of time. It's time capsuling the movement of the clouds and sunrise, which is incredible.

Time Example: I love this paused moment in time. I love that the drops are flying away from the bird, and it's wings are spread out from it, while it dunks it's head under water. Though there's no blur from the movement, it is definitely obvious that there is movement. 

My Time Example: Though I know this is a very cliche photo of time, I think the colors are all very nicely muted. I also like the clock tip with the spinner with each vertical line making small insinuations to look back down at the clock. I like that the light and glass magnify and highlight a few of the numbers. I also like that each of the hands are almost dissecting the clock into thirds.  I think that in that sense it is catching a moment in time other than just the clock. 







No comments:

Post a Comment