Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Journal Entry 2

Texture: Something in the image or subject that has an implied, real, or abstract of feel or touch.
Texture Example: I think this is a great example of texture. I think that the color contrast or value in the bricks and different walls, along with the sky and street add a lot to this photo. I think the clouds that only show a little bit in the photo have a lot of texture, but I think the main texture in this photo are the bricks that are right in the front. Because of the leading lines they add texture to the photo by splitting up the bricks and adding pattern.

Texture Example: The patterns, colors and volume of the henna in this photo really add texture to this photo. I think the shapes in this photo give a lot of interest to this photo, it makes the photo more exciting to look at. I think the different colored dots especially stick out, like they have extra volume. I think overall the texture is real texture, its not implied, you could slide your hands across the other persons hands and actually feel the pattern.

My Texture Example: I think the design on this starfish is really exquisite. Each line has several individual dots that are very extinguished and add a lot of texture to the starfish. I also think that the shininess of the starfish shows that its quite wet. The swirls and different levels of the starfish and even different values, again, give texture to it. 

Color: Different hues or values of different wavelengths of sunlight.

Color Example: The first thing I want to point out is that there is a lot of implied line in this, and a lot of repetition. But I like that with the child looking back there is a bit of interruption in it, making him the focal point. I think the colors in this are really bright and brilliant and since its a large crowd, it seems like it could be at a festival or event. Each vale has its own special design, which adds to the brightness of the colors and photos.

Color Example: I think that the stripes on the socks really help to adding a pop of color. The socks are definitely the same, but both the shoes and skirts are not, which I think help to add contrast and pop to the colors The intensity of the orange of the skirts make the right one seem to pop a little more than the left one. I think that the white circles really pop out on the skirt. 

My Color Example: In this photo since there are so many vertical lines, I think that there is quite a lot of repetition and pattern, but since the colors are random the pattern seems to be more disoriented. However, I don't really think any color really pops, or that there is a strong focal point. I think that there seems to only be one type of orange or blue or green, there are not many different saturations.

Balance: Keeping both sides of the image equal, so that one is not heavier or lighter than the other. 

Balance Example: I love the lines from the lightning in this photo. They spread out and I think that they balance out well on each side too. Since the lightning is more on one side than the other, I think that the slight amount of tree and the sun on the left side helps to make the image less asymmetrical. However, I think looking at the photo up and down, it looks more asymmetrical. The lightness only seems to be a sliver of the image, whereas the darkness and violent red seem to absorb the photo.

Balance Example: I thought that this was a really great photo for balance, obviously because the bird is balancing because its comical. I also think this is a very asymmetrical photo. The dark line in the background and the bird's wing definitely make the right side of the image much heavier. I think that the birds beak and the dark line definitely are the pop of color in this photo.

My Balance Example: I really like this photo because I think the blue is very vibrant against the darker half of the photo. I also think that the clouds are almost like a sea or flood taking over the mountains. Though I think that the mountain on the left side could even out the photo, I don't think it quite does because the clouds cover the background too. However I think that since the right side at the bottom is darker than the left side, they help to even each other out with value.

Variety: A multitude of diversion or disunity in an image.

Variety Example: The fact that there are a delicious amount of doughnuts in this photo is a great example of variety. There are sprinkles and different designs with zig zags, there are also different highlights in the photo. The light shines on certain parts more than others. The glaze in the middle row is especially bright and pops out because the light makes a ring around it. I think that since there are so many different colors and saturations it helps with the variety. 

Variety Example: I think that for this photo it is unified because they are each similar in shape and the chains are all the same color, but each one is a different color. Plus proportion wise, it helps to make the swings look dissimilar. The red definitely looks bigger. Looking at the blue swing it looks lopsided making it unique from the others. In this case, there is definitely a good amount of variety here.  

My Variety Example: I think this is a really great example of variety and disunity. There is a deflated bright red balloon in a grim and grey cemetary that sticks out like a sore thumb. I think the bright red and even the white string really pop against the dying green grass, brown leaves and grey cement tombs. I don't think that the balloon really fits in there because balloons are more symbols of happiness, whereas a cemetery is clearly the opposite. 

Repetition: A pattern that is used multiple times.

Repetition Example: The contrast on each one of these sculptures is really great against the dark blue sky and the poles silhouetted against the orange. Each one of the lines goes vertical and helps to create a repetitive pattern, also the fish, though they are turned in different ways, the fact that they are all shaped the same makes another repetitive pattern. And finally the net of wires, with diagonal and intersecting lines, also silhouetted make a final repetitive pattern.  

Repetition Example: Though none of these locks are the same, there is still a repetitive pattern with the 'U' shapes hanging over the gate. The gate also helps to make repetition since each part makes an oval eye shape and also each is connected with a rectangle clasp. I think that the vibrant red really stands out, but so does the aqua blue in left corner, along with the names.

My Repetition Example: The real repetition in this photo is on the right side of the photo. The box shape of the tunnels and even the stone work on and above the walls helps to create a very repetitive pattern, which continue near to the end of the photo. I also think that the lights that pop out help a cause of a repetitive pattern. It's a pattern of light.


Rhythm: A sense of movement in the image.

Rhythm Example: The horizontal lines of the stairs really work in the favor of rhythm. It almost looks like the stars are moving themselves in an illusionary way. It looks quite obvious that the woman is moving down the stairs, clearly since her feet are on different levels, but also because her face is slightly blurred, making it seem that she is moving quickly. 

Rhythm Example: This woman's dress has so much flow to it. It has a lot of geometric shape. Since it's up in the air creating wonderful shapes, it definitely looks like its moving gracefully in the wind rhythmically. I also really love that the woman is putting her hand up as if praising or singing. She is lifting her arm up slowly creating more motion in the photo. And finally the waves crashing up on the beach help to make movement. Since they have so much texture and the white waves, it shows that they are moving as well.

My Rhythm Example: I think that this scene is very chaotic looking, like a harsh wind.  I took this photo during a blizzard, so I know that it really was during a harsh wind storm. The lines from the snow going forward above the focal point make it look like its rushing over and forward. It gives a lot of motion to the photo. Though the trees don't look like they're moving, I think because of the quick and chaotic lines, they look like they're moving just as harshly. 


Harmony: Unity in the image, creating a pleasant feel to the image. 

Harmony Example: Starting with the sky and it's reflection, I think that is one of the first unifying things about this photo. I really think the sky is quite brilliant in this photo, and the ground reflects it and the silhouette of the people. The bottom of the photo completely reflects the top part reflecting it all. The saturation of this photo is definitely blue. Also the people doing different yoga poses, standing on one leg, and holding hands helps to unify them, creating an entire sense of harmony.  

Harmony Example: In this photo there is a lot of grey, but what I think unifies and creates a sense of harmony for this photo are the different reds popping up in the photo. The woman's shoes, the child's socks, the Taps sign and finally the flaming bright red curtain. Each one of the reds creates an implied line, starting with the woman's feet and arching over to the curtain.

My Harmony Example: In this photo, it definitely has an asymmetrical balance. The shore in the front and the land in the back help to unify or make the image very similar. It also creates a sort of boundary on the water. Also the trellis could be split right down the middle helping to unify. 

Proportion: Realistic or unrealistic sizes in an image.

Proportion Example: I think this is a very comical image. The dog is hilariously larger than everything around him. The gate, the stones, the cat and the house. Its all very unrealistically proportioned. I think space comes into play here a lot. The size of the dog takes up a good portion of the image making him seem huge and needing more space, and making it seem like everything is much smaller and need less space.

Proportion Example: I think this is a really great photo for proportion since the wheel is so much closer to the camera than the buildings are, it looks five times as big as they are. The purple and blue lights also emphasize the size of the ferris wheel, making it seem to expand. Also the axis or needle of the two lines mounting the ferris wheel, since they are also lit up help to make the size of the ferris wheel bigger.

My Proportion Example: I love this example of proportion because it just barely shows how small one person, one tree is to mountains and the rest of the world for that matter. I also love that the wind looks very intense in this photo making it look like anything could be blown over. It makes everything and everyone seem so small and like a pin top in the world.





No comments:

Post a Comment