Saturday, September 20, 2014

Journal Entry 1




Subject: The main focus of an image such as a person, animal or idea.


Subject Example: I think this is a great example of subject. What drew my eye first to this photo was the smiling dog. His pink tongue really contrasts with his black nose and the blue and white sky. Also I think the shape of the dog stands out from the rest of the photo since its in the closest of the foreground. I think the message that the artist is trying to convey is simply happiness comes in different packages, even if its just spending time with a dog on a beach.






Subject Example: This is a great example of subject. I think that the lines from the trees pull the eye straight to the house. Also I think value and contrast are a big part of this photo. The sky is dark and the ground is more of a lighter color, the house meets right at the middle so it draws the eye right to it. I think that what the photographers content could be is that the desert is a dried up abandoned place, but it also has a certain beauty. 




My Subject Example: I think that there are many subjects in this photo, but what I was really aiming for was to make the kid sitting next to the pole be the main subject. I think that since the "No Parking" sign is bright and white, and so is the kid's shirt, it draws the eye first to that corner of the photo, then the rest of the photo. Also the lines from the cement are like a grid that he's sitting in the middle of. The content I was trying to bring to this photo is that everyone has a story, even if it looks like they're alone, they still have a life's story. 



Form: An image with a three dimensional geometric shape.




Form Example: I think this is a great photo for form. I really love the lines in this photo, they curve and almost make the photo soothing, almost like a wave. The photo also has contrast the red and orange on the flower, and then also the red, orange and black. The photo was obviously taken very close up and I think that really captures how the flower's figure is wave-like.


Form Example: When I first saw this photo, I wasn't exactly sure what it was. At first I thought it was styrofoam sculptures on the beach, and then I looked closer and saw that it was a wave splashing up on the beach. I think one of the things in this that really sticks out is the shape of the splashes. Some of them look like y's or hooks or something like goo stretched across the sand. Also the thickness of the lines should be looked at too. Each one is a bit thicker, but none are the exact same width. I think this is a great photo for form because it captures the curves and formations closeup of a wave.





My Form Example: In this photo I tried to show the form of an almost opened flower. The lines of the petals are all about the same width and length. They curve into the middle, and then the outer petals wing up. Also the part of the flower inside make little raindrop shapes. 

Content: The idea or message behind an image.

Content Example: This is really a very dramatic and deep photo for content. One thing that really stands out is the colors of the flag that really pop against the muted colored background. The vibrant red really sticks out. I think though, looking at all the chaos going on in the photo, the photographer really wanted to show the anger and violence that is going on. 



Content Example: This painting is really mysterious and a bit creepy. I feel that since the background is completely dark it adds to the feeling of death. When looking at just the man's face he looks like he's looking onward and forward almost like he's looking for someone. The skeleton behind him signifies death, but it looks like its hiding a little bit behind him but also holding onto his shoulder or tapping on it. The skeleton is also smiling, it seems like he's being cunning. He's also holding what looks like a fiddle or a violin. I think that the message of the artist is that death is always playing in peoples lives, no matter how far we look forward, its hiding, cunning and taking away things without a thought.


My Content Example: I think this a really great example of content. I took this in Traverse City at an event where groups of people would join in singing 73 hours straight of "This Land is Your Land". I think first and foremost the man really sticks out well from the darker background. His bright tie die shirt helps in that. I found this man very interesting because I watched him play guitar, drums and sing along enthusiastically, but on his left hand, he had no fingers. The message that I was really trying to show in this, even though its a cheesy one, is that no one can hold you back except yourself. 




Line: A moving point or mark


Line Example: I really loved this photo. A person shattering a bubble, while the bubble is only half popped. I like that in the upper corner there is a highlight and even a sun glow bouncing off the bubble, also there is a faint orange figure that looks like a hand. The lines in this are really interesting as they all look like they're rushing back or away from the finger. Theres a few near the finger, but gradually a lot more farther away from the finger.


Line Example: This is a really great image for lines. Obviously they're more shapes like circles and diamonds. But theres also the ceiling which curves into a half circle, and the straight pillars. All of the lines force the eyes to the end of the tunnel.


My Line Example: The first thing I like in this photo are the puffy clouds that are reflected in the water, they give a nice calming shape to the water. I also really like the texture of the ripples bumping along. There are so many lines in this photo it's hard to count. The first one I'd like to point out is the indicated one of the posts on the dock, I think they make a nice strong border to the photo. Next there is the actual dock, starting at the front of the photo and pushing all the way back, it makes a nice straight line with an angle in the middle. There's also the rope that's dropping down to the boat, and the boat's benches. Finally in the back of the photo is the bridge, it has a few straight lines and a big curved one. 



Shape: Something that stands out because of a boundary or value difference to its surroundings.


Shape Example: This is a great example of shape. The value in the photo really highlight down the middle, whereas the outer corners are a lot darker. The ripples, wavering water and bubbles show that the water is moving a lot. Each of the ripples form a boundary that make many circles.


Shape Example: I thought this was a cool photo for shape. The contrast between the orange glow of the sun and sky and the darkness of the ship and water were really neat. There are also lines in the sails of the boat which make boundaries. There are multiple triangles in the middle and last sail. Yet those two sails could also be trapezoids. The sliver of the sun is also a half circle which stands out against the rest of the sky from the light.


My Shape Example: Though this photo isn't exactly the prettiest to look at, I am still convinced it's a great photo with tons of shapes in it. I really like the contrast of each item in this photo. The crab head sticks out against the cement easily, it has a nice border and even its antennas are contrasted to the cement. Next the wasp pops out really well against the crab, since the crab is a drab sort of coloring and the wasp is a vibrant black and yellow. The shapes that really stick out to me in this photo are the ones arrayed down the wasps back. Each part starts with a line and then has a little blip and a triangle or mountainous figure. It's really quite interesting to stare at. Even the black around the wasps eye is fascinating, the shape is like an upside down bean.


Value: The contrast of lightness and darkness in an image.


Value Example: This is a great photo for value. The mountain's white and grey really contrast with the dark hills in front. Also the lake, which looks almost like silver stands out against the hills and acts as a highlight. The mountain which has a few deep hills or valleys create lines and shadows. 


Value Example: I think this is a great photo example for value. This picture is definitely a silhouette. The background is really well lit and the waves of the ocean create lines which really add to the photo. Also the rock that the people are standing on creates a contrast to the background. I really like that its easy to see what the people are doing. The woman is taking a photo and holding a purse, the man is on his phone.



My Value Example: I really love this photo for value. The designs and shapes of the clouds are breathtaking, it's like diving into a Dr. Seuss book. I also love the blue sky peaking out of the white clouds, and even the sun shining just below the clouds. I love the highlight of the sun on the water, it gives the whole photo a nice glow and emphasis point. I think the land  and dark water are really great contrasts against the bright sky and white clouds. 




No comments:

Post a Comment