Sunday, December 7, 2014

Journal 8





For these two pieces I thought they were both a boyish playfulness and mischievousness. The top photo shows trees that have been 'TP-ed' which is a very normal prank in many cases. It also seems like a haunting painting because of the willowy trees and the dead leaves on the ground, but I think the light really makes up for that haunting feeling, and makes it seem like someone would see it while walking through the woods, happen to stumble upon it, and laugh. The next one is especially playful and mischievous, it also looks very loud and chaotic. Obviously there is a food fight going on between boys who look like they're at a boarding school, because they're in uniforms and a nice dining room. They seem to have gone crazy and are having fun just being their age again. Closer to the back, it looks like there is a teacher who is annoyed and feeling unable to keep them quiet, and trying to stop them, but failing miserably. I think one of the things that sticks out even more to the chaos is the boy at the corner of the painting. It makes me feel like I'm actually a part of the scene and he is running by me. Each of these paintings makes me feel light, giddy and mischievous. 


This photo makes me feel very uncomfortable. Starting with the angle of the picture and the blank space, I think when the photo was taken below, it made it seem like the person was coming down at the viewer and gave it an uncomfortable feel. Also the person has a very aggravating almost angry face on, its not one that's pleasant and it gives a harsh mood to the photo. Next the way the person is posed is sort of clamped up and tense, for me, this made me feel more tense as well as if reacting or mirroring the image. Also the person looks very sweaty, bruised and bloody, it looks painful and not very clean. Finally I think the most uncomfortable part for me was the hair in the armpit, this person looks more like a girl as they have a wrap, but she also has her hair cut like a boy. I think the armpit hair made me feel dirty and unclean. The photo as a whole was unsatisfying to look at and not very appealing in feel. 


I thought this was a very bland and simple look to it, but it gave it a nice and pleasant feel to it. First there are flower shapes that are scattered around and they are in a perfect square as if being in a frame  even though it wasn't. Also all the flowers were a monochrome color such as black, grey and white in a few different shades. I think the similar colors and the simple shape gave it a nice and pleasant feel to it that was satisfying to the eye and definitely not overwhelming or underwhelming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment